AIGA New Mexico Hire Ed Portfolio Review
Saturday, April 13, 9:00AM–2:00PM
If you are a college student or emerging professional studying graphic design or photography, and looking forward jump-starting your career, this event is for you! The AIGA New Mexico 2019 Hire Ed Portfolio Review begins by mixing and mingling with fellow creatives over a continental breakfast, followed by talks from top locals in the industry and a Q&A. The main event: spend the afternoon getting your portfolio reviewed one-on-one by designers and photographers who work in our state’s studios, agencies, and nonprofits, own their own businesses, and more!
The Hire Ed Portfolio Review is New Mexico’s premiere event for students and young creative professionals to interact directly with local creative educators, professionals, and potential employers as well as other students in the field. Year after year, students and reviewers are united in their passion for the creative profession and a common goal to further the community and future of design and photography as a whole.
AIGA NM is giving you the chance to get some real-world, constructive criticism on your work in a no-risk, non-competitive environment!
How would your projects hold up in an interview? How would YOU hold up? Time to find out! Attendees have the opportunity to receive professional, objective advice on their work and resumé from local creative industry professionals. While this event is not a job fair, some reviewers may be looking for potential employees or interns.
Attending Hire Ed is a great way to discuss your work, fine-tune your presentation skills, network and become aware of who’s who in your local design community. Meet and network with local creative professionals, and create the foundations for a multitude of connections. Who knows what opportunities can come out of further interactions?
AIGA NM has lined up a pair of wonderful speakers to offer lessons on what students should expect after graduation. Their talks (with a Q&A following) will give you guidance and advice as you take those steps out into the world of professional design and photography.
We are lining up a great roster of design and photography professionals across the state to review portfolios and talk with all our up-and-coming creative professionals. Check back here and on our social media as we add more reviewers to the list.
- Corie Chambers, Designer/Social Media Manager / Loka Creative
- Julie Ruth, Founder/President / Loka Creative
- Ben Nargi, UX Designer / Aptima Inc.
- Kevin Gao, UX Designer / RS21
- Dave Ortega, Creative Director / McKee Wallwork + Company
- Veronica Muñoz, Marketing Coordinator/Graphic Designer / SLFCU
- Mia Casesa, Digital Designer / CNM
- Alexa Verardo, Freelance Designer/Illustrator / alexaverardo.com
- Victor Pascual, Architectural Designer / IDS+A
- Brandi Sea Heft-Kniffin, Creative Director / BrandiSea
- Jodi Ramsbacher, Production Manager / K2MD
- Paul Ziomek, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Jim Cruz, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Sarah Tasseff, Los Alamos National Laboratory
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Student designers and photographers.
- Young professional designers and photographers starting out.
- Experienced professional design, photography, art, and communication professionals and educators interested in looking to review and advise the next generation of creatives. Why not take a few hours and give back to our local creative community?
WHAT TO BRING:
- Yourself at your best, dressed for success.
- Your polished portfolio, ready to impress.
- Several copies of your resume.
- Business cards, so we can keep in touch.
- A notepad to take down all that awesome advice.
- 9:00–10:00AM : Meet and Greet, Continental Breakfast
- 10:00-10:15AM : Opening
- 10:15–11:15 : Speakers
- 11:15–1:15PM : Portfolio Review
- 1:15–1:30PM : Closing
PORTFOLIO TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Portfolios should include no more than 12 examples of design work, digital or print. Time will be limited.
- Prepare and dress for the review as if this was a job interview.
- Avoid typos and poor craft skills in your portfolio of work.
- Practice talking about your projects.
- If you plan on showing interactive or rich-media work, please bring a fully-charged laptop or tablet. Just as in the real world, WiFi may be available but should not be relied upon. Have backup files saved locally.
- Don't be late.
As always, it pays to be a member! Registered members of AIGA New Mexico get 50% off their registration to Hire Ed Portfolio Review.
- Members Pre-Registration: $15
- Nonmembers Pre-Registration: $25
- Price at Door (Regardless of membership): $30
- Group Discount: $5 off when 5 or more people register from the same group
If you have questions about Hire Ed Portfolio Review, please contact:
Brandi Sea Heft-Kniffen, Education Director, AIGA New Mexico at email@example.com
About AIGA New Mexico
AIGA, the professional association for design, is committed to advancing design as a professional craft, strategic advantage and vital cultural force. AIGA New Mexico contributes to this cause with initiatives and events that are geared towards: design education, networking, professional development, giving back to the world with design for good, engaging the community of creatives, and having fun.
More information at: http://newmexico.aiga.org